Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Published: January 10, 2012 by Dutton Books
Number of Pages: 313

Blurb from Goodreads: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


Review:


That pretty much sums up how I feel right now, but here's the actual review anyway.
There are thousands of great books out there all amazing in their own sense. There are books that make you laugh, books that make you cry and there are even books that when you are finished you feel like you lost a friend. However, The Fault in Our Stars cannot even be described as a book, it truly is a masterpiece. Why else would I be sitting here at twelve at night  with a box of tissues bawling  my eyes out writing a review for the book that grabbed my heart and then ripped it out of my chest. This book is perfection. 
     Our characters are so realistic and yet they are so normal and happy  for a couple of kids who don't know if tomorrow is going to come or not. They know that life isn't fair and they can joke about it. When I was first introduced to Hazel, I felt bad for her, I mean wouldn't you? It's a human instinct to feel bad for sick people, to pity them and after their death to honor them and talk about how brave they were and hot strongly they fought. Hazel sees the truth and as painful as it may have been in a way she got me to see it too. That's what makes a great book when you can actually take some sort of understanding from what you are reading. 
      Augustus Waters.. I don't know how I can talk about him so I won't say much but I'll say this he was just a boy who had to learn that the world isn't a wish giving factory.
   The writing was beautiful. This book is written in a lyrical sense that draws you in, builds up the suspense and then knocks you off a cliff and sends you falling towards oblivion. You can say you won't cry I though the same thing but as soon as you meet the characters you'll feel connected to them their pain will become yours and I assure you that when they suffer you will too. After all as,  Augustus loved to quote "pain demands to be felt."


This book gets 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, leave a comment please :) It will make me happy so don't be shy and please leave a comment telling me what you think.
xoxo Inna